Sunday, March 22, 2009

Interviews with Imagineer Tony Baxter




Here is an little excerpt from a great interview with Imagineer Tony Baxter, Senior VP of creative development and the lead behind attractions like Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones (Disneyland), as well as as many others.

"I had been a Disney geek since the day that Disneyland opened. I was fortunate to have been able to tour Imagineering just before I began working at Disneyland. The day that [Great Moments with] Mr. Lincoln came west--two shows were running simultaneously at the New York World's Fair and at Disneyland--I saw the show and I thought it was so amazing. I said, 'That's it. I'm signing up today to get a job here.' In the five years I worked at Disneyland, I sold popcorn, scooped ice cream, and eventually worked as a ride operator at the attractions. In the summer of 1969, I joined the Submarine Voyage crew.

I studied landscape architecture at Cal Poly and developed an idea for a Mary Poppins-themed attraction as a course project. A friend at Disneyland was able to get it to Imagineering where they passed it around. That led to a second, more in-depth tour of Imagineering. It was a reality check. They told me [my project] was pretty good for someone starting out, and then showed me the work that was done there. It was overwhelming, but it was sort of a kick in the can. As a result, I changed my career and school and went to Long Beach State to study theater design.

After graduating college, I applied at WDI [Walt Disney Imagineering, then known as WED--for Walter Elias Disney--Enterprises] and submitted my portfolio, which included an attraction I developed based on the film, The Island at the Top of the World. I had invested my entire senior year in the project. Ultimately, the film was not a hit--but I got the job.

I think Disneyland is unique, because it is theater and it uses a landscaped environment and architecture to tell its stories. So I was well versed in all three of those areas. It worked out well. I sort of stumbled into my profession."

Check out the rest of th interview here


Here are a few more interviews with Tony Baxter that are definitely worth a read.


2007 Interview with Tony Baxter

1995 Interview with Tony Baxter (a bit dated, but a bunch of great stuff)


2 comments:

Bruce Brodsky said...

Thanks for the great collection of interviews. I linked this page to my personal blog: http://brucewdw.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is a really good tip especially to those fresh to the
blogosphere. Simple but very accurate info… Thank you for sharing this
one. A must read article!

Also visit my web page squeeze page

Post a Comment